Friday, April 18, 2008

Greenburg Indiana Tree

Today was highway from Hell day.The initial plan was to take US27 to US127 to US 421 And cross the Ohio River at Madison. However, after closely examining the Kentucky Map, I noticed
a rather large number of closely spaced squiggles on the map just North of Frankfort KY on US421. Being the Astute RV traveler that I am, I broke out the ole laptop, cranked up Delorme and routed a new course around the squiggles. Good ole Delorme routed us down Kentucky State Highway 395, and since it was a state highway and the map didn't have all of those little squiggles, I thought we were in tall cotton. Well folks Kentucky State Highway 395 and all of it's permutations was about 20 feet wide the entire distance traveled and the nice straight looking road had more curves than I could count. Passing a car on that road was shear doughnut in the skivvy time and then came the school bus. S_______ ________ T!!!!! I think everyone gets the idea, but in case you don't picture both the bus and the Bounder with right front tires and one rear dually dropped off the 6 inch tall pavement at 15 mph.

With ecstasy my trusty navigator announced we were at the end of the road and would be turning onto 421. I think that the boys were even smiling at this pronouncement. The road forked and I (like a dummy) headed down the right fork which intercepted 421 at an extreme angle in such a manner to prevent a left turn. Of course, I needed to turn left. Snap decision time. I went ahead and made a right turn thinking that a place to turn around couldn't be far. WRONG. Remember all of the squiggly lines I wanted to elude? We traveled over, around, up and down them for about twenty miles before we found a place where I could turn around. Yep! We got to travel the squiggly lines and 8 - 9% grades twice.

Just to make the days driving a marvelous occasion There was a multi-vehicle wreck just before the Ohio River so we were able to sit in a very long line of traffic for a very long time. Patty fixed a snack. I went to the bathroom. We ate the snack and listened to a lot of NPR. Thank god for motorhomes and Satellite radio.

Not long after crossing the Ohio River we came to the town of Greenburg and looking out you could see a spectacular looking courthouse building. As we got closer, we noticed something sticking out of the clock tower and at first we thought it was a left over Christmas decoration. Upon closer examination, we discovered that it was a tree of some sort. At first I thought it was a joke probably from a building climbing nut. This thing was obviously growing out of the roof and had been doing so for some time.


Here's a closer look so you can verify that we aren't completely nuts.
After the roads, curves, hills and near misses of the day, a little levity was welcome
So after avoiding interstate highways for two days, we are in a Passport America campground within hearing distance of interstate 70.



No comments: